Lucknow, Feb 3, Hundreds of government employees in Uttar Pradesh’s Bijnor district decided to boycott work Wednesday after a sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) slapped a Dalit class four government employee, police said.
Shouting slogans against Shyam Bahadur Singh, SDM (Sadar) Bijnor, hundreds of government employees of various departments converged in front of the Collectorate’s office, demanding that Singh be booked under the SC/ST Act.
“Chandrapal, a class four employee of the Revenue Department has alleged that the SDM Sadar Tuesday evening not only slapped him, but also made casteist remarks against him,” police inspector R.K. Gautam told reporters in Bijnor, about 400 km from Lucknow.
“He (SDM) manhandled me inside his room at the collectorate’s office and also hurled abusive and casteist words at me. When I voiced objections, he openly challenged me to initiate action against him,” Chandrapal told reporters Wednesday.
To protest against the incident, employees of the Revenue Department announced that they would boycott work and were later joined by employees of other departments.
However, Singh avoided commenting over the incident but told reporters that Chandrapal managed to sign some documents and certificates through fraudulent means.
Meanwhile, District Magistrate A.V. Rajamouli told reporters that an enquiry has been initiated into the matter and that the district administration was trying its best to sort out the issue by holding talks with government employees.
- Woman thrashed, paraded naked in Uttar Pradesh
- Lucknow, Nov 23, A group of locals thrashed a pregnant woman and paraded her naked through a village in Uttar...
- Government announces bonus for railway employees
- New Delhi, Sep 17,Around 13.05 lakh railway employees will get productivity-linked bonus, equivalent to 75 days of their wages, for...
- ‘Mini vacation’ for Uttar Pradesh government employees
- Lucknow, Sep 17, It's a long, long weekend for the employees of the Uttar Pradesh government. Starting Thursday, it's a...
- Congress supports Uttar Pradesh government employees’ demands
- Lucknow, August 27, The Congress party Thursday said it would support the employees of public sector undertakings in Uttar Pradesh...
- Dalit boy thrown into Holi bonfire for lighting it before time
- Lucknow, March 12, A 12-year-old Dalit boy was beaten up and thrown into a Holi bonfire by some youths in...