Indore, Jan 4, A Nigerian national has been arrested from this Madhya Pradesh city for allegedly possessing a fake visa and defrauding an Indian businessman, police said Monday.
The Nigerian national, Alex Johnson, was arrested by the crime branch Saturday night on the complaint of local businessman Mohsin.
Mohsin, owner of Ultracut, a factory manufacturing iron-cutting machine, alleged that Johnson took Rs.1.15 lakh from him on the pretext of providing 480 machines worth Rs.22 crore. Johnson claimed to be the owner of a Nigerian company.
“When we contacted the Indian embassy in Nigeria, the officials there informed us that no Nigerian national of that name had been issued a visa to India. A team of Thane police then landed in Indore to question him,” a police officer told IANS.
The police officer said Johnson was staying in Thane area of Mumbai which is home to a large number of people from Nigeria.
“Thane police was informed about the arrest after call details of the mobile phone seized from Johnson showed that they had originated from Thane. His bank accounts are also being investigated to develop further leads in the case,” senior police officer Jai Veer Singh Bhadoria said.
- One arrested for murder of Nigerian in Goa
- Amid simmering diplomatic tension between New Delhi and Abuja, the Goa Police on Wednesday arrested one person in connection with...
- Nigerian man, Indian wife held with drugs in Punjab
- Kharar (Punjab), Oct 21, A Nigerian man and his Indian wife were arrested in this Punjab town for allegedly running...
- Nigerian held on charges of duping
- Amritsar, Oct 21, A Nigerian national has been arrested for duping scores of people in this Punjab city, police said...
- Nigerian held in Kerala for online fraud
- Kannur (Kerala), Aug 28,A Nigerian national was arrested here for cheating people of millions of rupees in an Internet scam,...
- Fake visa racket busted in Delhi
- New Delhi, May 9, A fake visa racket has been busted in the capital with the arrest of two people...