Bhopal, Feb 3, Indian football team captain Bhaichung Bhutia has shown interest in Madhya Pradesh government’s offer to start a football academy here.
Bhutia while launching the India finals of Nike-Manchester United Premier Cup (MUPC) in Goa Monday had expressed his desire to start an academy provided he gets 20-30 acres of land in any state.
In response, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan Tuesday offered a 30-acre land to Bhutia for the academy within Bhopal or on the outskirts. He also directed the state sports director Sanjay Choudhary to take the initiative.
“After learning that Bhutia is looking for land for his academy, I asked the officials to contact the player, who now would like to pay a visit here shortly,” Chouhan said.
He further said the country has ample talent in sport but there are shortage of resources. Chouhan added that the state government is promoting sports and has made a hefty budget allocation for it.
Choudhary told IANS Wednesday that he had spoken to Bhutia over telephone and the footballer is planning to come here to see the land offered.
“Bhutia has agreed to visit Bhopal either in February end or first week of March to take stock of situation and look at the piece of land being offered to him,” he said.
“A plan is also being drafted in this regard keeping some sites in mind.”
Earlier, Chouhan had announced financial support to the men’s hockey team when they decided to boycott the national camp in Pune last month over payment delay issue. Later, the women’s team also found an ally in Chouhan, during their protest on the same issue last month.
- Short clinics not enough to develop Indian Football: Bhutia
- Former captain Bhaichung Bhutia Thursday stated that small duration clinics by several foreign clubs in the country were not enough...
- Bhutia signs for East Bengal
- Kolkata, Sep 30,After getting an interim relief from the All India Football Federation (AIFF), national captain Bhaichung Bhutia signed for...
- Goa government clears land for Bharti-AIFF football academy
- Panaji, Sep 30, Goa housing board minister Mickky Pacheco Wednesday paved the way for the Bharti-All India Football Federation (AIFF)...
- Bhutia and Mohun Bagan given time to settle their row
- New Delhi, Sep 13, India captain Bhaichung Bhutia and Mohun Bagan Football Club have been given more time by chief...
- Bhutia is being misled: Mohun Bagan
- Kolkata, Sep 10, A day after Bhaichung Bhutia demanded Rs.10 million from city giants Mohun Bagan for defaming him, the...