Bhubaneswar, Dec 23, More than 1,000 activists of Orissa’s regional party Kosala Kranti Dal Wednesday staged a peaceful demonstration here, demanding a separate statehood comprising the state’s 11 districts, police said.
The activists gathered near the state assembly building and marched on a main street of state capital Bhubaneswar, carrying posters and banners.
“Over 1,000 people staged a peaceful demonstration,” police officer Utkal Keshari Das told IANS.
A public meeting was later held in which dozens of speakers of the regional party described how their regions were continuously neglected by the state and central governments.
“We have separate Kosali language. Our culture and traditions are different. Our regions are the poorest in India despite having huge mineral and forest wealth,” party head Pramod Mishra said in his address.
“Only a separate Kosal state can improve the condition of our people,” he said.
The demand for separate state of Kosal picked momentum in Orissa after the central government decided to carve Telangana out of Andhra Pradesh.
The Kosala Kranti Dal wants a new state comprising the districts of Bargarh, Bolangir, Boudh, Deogarh, Jharsuguda, Kalahandi, Koraput, Nuapada, Sambalpur, Subarnapur and Sundergarh.
These districts suffer from poverty, malnutrition, high infant mortality rate and backwardness.
- 20 persons injured in two incidents in separate parts of the state
- Altogether 20 persons were injured on Sunday in separate road accidents in Bihar's Purnia and Banka districts on Sunday,...
- Maps of separate Kosala state distributed in Orissa
- Bhubaneswar, Dec 18,The Kosala Kranti Dal, a political party in Orissa which has been demanding separate statehood comprising 11 western...
- Demonstration planned in Delhi for separate Mithila state
- Patna, Dec 14,The demand for a separate state of Mithila, to be carved out of Bihar, has gained momentum following...
- Shutdown in Andhra, Rayalseema to protest Telangana state
- Hyderabad, Dec 11, Life in parts of Andhra and Rayalaseema regions were affected Friday in response to a daylong shutdown...
- TRS looks to reviving movement for separate Telangana
- Hyderabad, Oct 20,The Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) is looking to revive the movement for separate statehood to Telangana region by...